In Social Studies, we have discussed the groups of people who visited and/or settled in our state, from explorers and fur traders to missionaries and pioneers. These visitors and settlers had an impact on the Native American tribes who had been living here for generations. In your opinion, did the Europeans and Americans have more of a positive or negative impact on the Native American people of the Pacific Northwest?
Expectations: Clearly state your opinion and support it with at least three reasons. Please write at least three sentences in your response. THEN read a classmate's response and respond to his or her ideas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
They had positve and negitive impacts on the Native Americans. The positive impact is that the fur traders trader metal tools whic are easier too use than wooden tools. The negitive impact is that missionaires brought measles and small pox that killed many Native Americans. Over all I think they had more of a nesitive impact. #8
ReplyDeleteOf COURSE, I think that the Europeans and the Americans had more of a negative impact on the Native Americans, because the English and American people took over their land. The native people had to fight and protect their land, but the English and American people took away their home and land. I think that was clearly unfair to the Native Americans.
ReplyDelete#16
I think that the explorers and pioneers gave a negative impact on Native Americans. This is because they took their land without even giving them something in return. Also they didn't really help them after they gave them shelter. #15
ReplyDeleteI am pretty split. I think they had a negetive impact on the Native Americans because I think if somone came to where I lived and pretty much, invaded, I wouldn't feel to happy with the "new" people. I also think that they had a pousitive impact on the Native Americans because they taught each other new things, and they also started new realationships between them and the Natives.
ReplyDelete#13
They had a positive and negitive impact. Positive by trading and having peace. Negitive because they fought. Mostly positive though.
ReplyDelete#11
I think that they had a postive and a negitive impact on the Native American people of the Pacific Northwest. In the postive way, I think that it was a good thing that the Fur Traders came because they traded the Indians for resources and gave them resources to survive. Although, the Missonaries and Explorers had some negative impacts. Explorers invaded and stole, and the Missonaries invaded, too. Along with invading, the Missonaries brought many dieseases with them, which killed off many people, not always including Native Americans.
ReplyDeleteOverall, I think most people had a negative impact.
#7
I think they had a positive afect because they traded well. Also, they helped each other when they get sick. Last, they helped by sharing some of religon.
ReplyDelete#3
I think they more of a positive effect because they gave them metal utensils and other suplies the natives didn't have. They also brought medicine with them and when the natives were sick they would give them medicine. The explorers and missionaries also taught their way of life to those who wanted to know in the northwest. #2
ReplyDeleteI think they had a positive and a negitive impact on the Native Americans.
ReplyDeleteThe settelers brought metal tools with them to trade. They also brought spices that were rare to the area.
However, they also brought diseases with them. But, they did bring doctors.
We cut and distroyed more nature than they native americans did.
I think that the impact was mostly positive.
#1
I think that the European had a negative effect on th Native Americans. I think that the Americans had a negative effect on the Native Americans. The reason for European negative impact is because they didn't care that they were claiming land on the Native Americans territory. For the Americans negative impact is because they brought diseases with them when they came. The Native Americans killled some Americans for that.
ReplyDelete#10
I think it had a bad efect becouse they clamed all their land. And thay spred diseses . It killed tons of people.
ReplyDelete#22
I think they had a positive impact on the Native Americans. I think this because they traded furs for metal tools like knives. Also because Missionaries taught them about other religions. Also they became good friends.
ReplyDelete#12
They had both a positive a negative effect. They brought many things to the Native Americans. The Native Americans gave them fur. So then sea otter and beaver almost became extinct. They stopped using all the of the animal for all the new metal things. Overall i think it was mostly negative.
ReplyDelete#21
I think english were mostly negative because they killed them. They spread diseses and stole their land.
ReplyDelete#18
I think that they had a good and bad impact on the Native Americans because the Native Americans traded with fur traders ,so they gained and lost resources. Explorers came and took their land. The missionaries came and gave them measles and smallpocks.
ReplyDelete#14
I agree with #2 because they did trade for metal tools and they taugh them about thier ways of life.
ReplyDelete#12
I think they had a negative impact on the Native Americans.They took over the land and didn't give anything back in return. They also brought diseases with them and lots of people died.
ReplyDelete#23
I agree with #10 because I don't think that the Native Americans had a lot of happiness when the European and the Americans came. #15
ReplyDeleteI agree with number 22 becuse they did killed them and they spread diseses.
ReplyDelete#18
I do not understand #11 because of what the positive or negative mean? How is it mostly positive if they are taking away land from other people? I do not think that is fair and I would like to get more details than what is answered.
ReplyDelete#16
I agree and disagree with #3 because they did trade well but I do not think they helped each other when they are sick.
ReplyDelete#9
I think the Europeans and Americans were good for the Native Americans. I think this is true so that the Native Americans could trade. They could get along if they traded together with the people that they knew best. They learned how to use the silverware and metal tools.
ReplyDelete#25
I agree with # 13 because I'm also pretty split, but i do have 1 question. What do you mean by "I wouldn't feel good with the "new" people?
ReplyDeleteI agree with # 16. I agree because I also thought they had a more negitive impact on the Native Americans. It was not right that they took away Native Americans' land and that the Native Americans had to fight and die but they couldn't get there land back. I agree that it was clealy unfair. #8
ReplyDeleteI agree with number 1 because she pretty much stated the same thing I did; that the americans did negetive things to native americans and that the Americans did pousitive to the Native americans. #13
ReplyDeletei agrey with 18 becouse we got the same answers.like spreding deses and steling land.
ReplyDeleteI do agree with number 10 because the're two sides of the story and the way number 10 puts makes me see both sides of the story better now. #2
ReplyDeleteI think that the Europeans had a more positive impact on the Native Americans. I think this because they went to help them. They taught the Native Americans about their religion and way of life. They traded things with the Native Americans that they didn't have.
ReplyDelete#5
I partially agree with #21, but I partially disagree. I agree with the negative part and that the Missonaries killed off many people and that the Explorers did almost cause the Beaver and Sea Otter to become extinct.But on the other hand, the Fur Traders traded metal tools that the Native Americans never had and they also taught them skills and made relationships with them.
ReplyDelete#7
I agree with #1 because that is basicly what I said
ReplyDelete#1
I agree with #23 becuse all the information was right. #25
ReplyDeleteThe Europeans and Americans when they came to the NW, they brought diseases with them. Then the Native Americans got sick and many of them died. Then Native Americans started killing Americans and Europeans. Overall this was mostly negative.
ReplyDelete#20
#15
ReplyDeleteI have to agree and disagree with you. The english and american people did take the land and homes of the native americans. But they gave them many things in return, such as metal tools, new spices and other valuable things.#1
I agree with #13 because I wouldn't like getting invaded and seing new people that were a little different.
ReplyDeleteI agree with number #14 because we both have kind of have the same answers. Also they did gain and lose resources. The missionaries did give them diseases.
ReplyDeleteI agree with #13. I din't think about being split before.Also, After I think about it I wish I did split to. I agree with #13 because I would also not want them to invade on me and I would want them to be friends with me. I think #13 had a great idea.
ReplyDelete#3
I agree with number #14 because we both have kind of have the same answers. Also they did gain and lose resources. The missionaries did give them diseases.
ReplyDeleteI agree with #16 because they had to fight to protect their land. I also think it was very unfair.
ReplyDelete#23
I agree with # 23 because every single thing was true
ReplyDelete#20