April 20, 2009

Why Washington?

Over the past five hundred years, many different groups of people have come to the Pacific Northwest and settled here. Explorers, fur traders, missionaries, pioneers, immigrants, and Native Americans have all found something special about this region. In fact, people are still coming and settling in our state.

1. Why did the groups of people we have studied visit and stay in Washington? Please list at least THREE specific groups and their unique reasons.
2. In your opinion, why do people continue to settle in Washington? Please give at least THREE reasons.

Expectations: Please answer both questions with complete sentences by Wednesday, 4/22. Please respond to at least one classmate's post by Friday, 4/24. In response to a classmate's post, you may agree, disagree, or ask a question. Remember to include your student number at the end of your responses.

50 comments:

  1. The explorers came to Washington because the land was never explored and they wanted to find out whether it was good land or land that many people would not even think to go to. Washington"s land was really good land.
    The fur traders came because after the explorers told stories on how many sea otters and beavers here were, they realized that those furs would pay for a lot of money. So many went there and became rich.
    Pioneers came because of the great land for farming and that they good claim the free land because there was no government. Many people thought that this was a good deal so many went on the Oregon Trail.
    I think people today come to WA because it is not as hot as California or Oregon and the jobs that they could find! This place is a great place to get a job especially when the econemy is at such a bad spot.

    #15

    ReplyDelete
  2. Washington had lots of free and good farmland, which is why several groups came. WA also had jobs for the immigrants. These are a few...
    The missionaries came to WA because they believed their mission was to change people's beliefs and types of religon.
    The pioneers came because of the good and free land. Lots of family and friends journeyed the Oregon Trail.
    The Klondlikers came to Washington to get supplies for their gold mining search. The stocks and business went WAY up.
    I think that people come today because Washington had an amazing history of the settlers before. They still come now, probably to learn this history and many from different countries learn the language. I think Washington is big and civilized as a reputation, so because of that, many still come and came.

    #16

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with #15 because I said similar things. I think they do come because the econemy is bad and they can buy things at low prices, like homes, and electronics. Washington is a very populated place. I think that we think similarly and basically stated the same sentances.
    #16

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first to come were the explorers. Washington hadn't been explored so they claimed the land.
    Next to come were fur traders. Washington had lots of animals for furs but the most valuable were sea otter and beaver furs.
    I think people still come today because it has plenty of water. In other places there isn't much water like we read in our Time For Kids. Also, Washington has many trees and other resources.

    #23

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pioneers came to Washington to get free land, money, and good farmland. The Missonairies came to teach people about there religon. The Miners came to get supplies and to get gold, silver, and coal.


    #9

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pioneers came to Washington mostly for land. But also they came $$$. The Klondikers went up to Alaska and Canada to mine for gold. One of the famous Klondiker is John Nordstrom, the founder of Nordstrom Department Store. My last group is the explorers. Why they came to Washington because they wanted to claim land for there country, trade, and get rich.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with #3 because I included reasons why the pioneers and explorers came. I have a question though; why do you think people still come to Washington today?

    #23

    ReplyDelete
  8. As people said in the older days, and probably still do now, "Washington is a land of opportunities." I can see why they said that because back during the pioneer days, people traveled to Washington to get land, and to start a new life. When they settled in WA, they realized that it really did give them opportuniese to do the stuff that they wanted to do, and liked to do. I think people continue to settle and visit WA because it has a lot of exciting history that lead things towards the world we are living in today. And another reason that doesn't get any doubt, WA is such a pretty state!!!!

    #7

    ReplyDelete
  9. Washington is a perfect place to live. There are many reasons why so many people came, and are still coming today. Here are a few of the groups and reasons:

    Explorers came because they wanted more land for their country. The more they explored, they found many treasures and ways to get rich. So, they came mostly because they were patriotic.

    Fur Traders came because the explorers from their native land had told them about the many furs and how Native americans admired them. and after awile, they noticed that the more they traded, the more money they would get. And, the many valuable furs they traded were good use for Native Americans and other Natives, so that is an easy way to get supplies you may need. Trade.

    Pioneers came because of free farming land,and many other great advantages. They also got back money. But, they had to go on the long journey across the Oregon Trail. That was the disadvantage.

    Next came missionaries. They thought that their mission in life was to share their religion and way of life. So, they set up missions all around America, and taught many unbelievers. But, the Whitmans ( who were missionaries) were killed.


    Next,immigrants that were disrespected because of their religion and way of life in their country came. One reason they left was to follow what their beliefs because in America, you could have any religion. Also, they came for more money. Most of them worked as a railroad worker repairing trains or at the coal mines.


    Klondikers came by because they had to buy supplies for their journey to Alaska, where gold had been found. Seattle grew larger because they got more and more money. One klondiker was named John Nordstrom. After feeling discouraged because the site he was supposed to search at was already taken, he went back to Seattle. and, after succesfuly selling his (fake) permit, he opened up Nordstrom, the now large department store.



    I think people still come to settle in Washington because of the same things the past. There are amny resources, alot of water,many jobs, and a good reputation from settlers and visitors. Also, with the economy so bad, they have an advantage too. (Maybe the disadvantage is the rain! :) ) But, too me, I feel right a home here in Washington.


    #13

    ReplyDelete
  10. People in the old days and even now say "Washington is a land of oppertunities."

    Also in the old days lots of pioneers moved here to Washington for good farmland and freedom from prejiduce.

    Explorers came to Washington to claim land for U.S.

    Fur Traders came to Washington to sell fur and get money.

    Missionaries came to Washinton to teach Native Americans about religion.

    All of these people came to WA for $ except missionaries, and that is why I think people still come to WA.


    14#

    ReplyDelete
  11. Explores were the 2nd to discover WA. they wanted land,recorces and to find the NW passsage.

    Another group of people were the pioneers. they wanted farm land, to claim Oregon territory, and sometimes for adventure.

    The last group I'm going to talk about are the kliondikers. klondikers wanted gold,$ and riches.
    People still come to washington because WA it has a variety of of weather, many recources still and good jobs.


    #12

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Explores came to Washington for land, resources, and money. The missionaries came to Washington to teach Native Americans about their religion. The immigrants came to Washington for money, jobs, and land. I think the reasons people still come to Washington is that there are jobs, resources, and many places to visit.
    #8

    ReplyDelete
  13. fur traders came for fur. mitionaries came to help.and explorers cam to explore. this region is small and wet. it is also raning a lot.


    #25

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with #23 because they stated their reasons clearly, and all facts are true! And I also have a question, what other resources? [I'm referring to your last sentence]

    #7

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with #12 because #12's answers were really clear and I completely thought that is why thos types of people came to WA.

    #15

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are 3 people that I will write about

    #1. Explorers

    #2 Pioneers

    #3 Missionaries

    1. Explorers: Explorers came to WA for money. They also wanted land and recources.

    2. Pioneers: Pioneers came to WA to get free land, to be freed from slavery, to start a new life, and to go live with friends and family

    3. Missionaries: Missionaries came to WA to teach about their culture. A fact about them is that they were the first non-Native American people to settle in WA.

    I think people still settle in WA because of the mild weather, fun activities, and jobs.

    #10

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with #15 because all of the facts he/she wrote were true and it was all ver thought out.

    #10

    ReplyDelete
  18. very* sorry

    @/
    /|
    / \

    #10

    ReplyDelete
  19. These people came to Washington for specific reasons.

    1.Pioneers- Pioneers came to Washington to get free land,to start a new life and to meet up with friends.

    2.Explorers- Explorers came to WA because they wanted land, They wanted money and recources also.

    3.Missonaries - Missonaries came to Washington because they beleived that their misson was to change peoples beleifs and types of religion.

    I think its a great place to live in Washington because it has good jobs, a clean enviornment and nice people.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with #16 because her answer was very straight-forward and I could tell she took some time on. I really like how she picked which groups of people to be used. good Job #16!!!!!

    13

    ReplyDelete
  21. Two other groups that came to Washington were the explorers. They came to WA so that they could find gold, and other natural resources. Their other main goal was to find the NW passage, which later, they found, didn't exsist.
    Another group were the missionaries. They came to WA so that they could teach others about their religion. But in response, they brought disease and some were killed.

    Sorry I only did one group earlier!!

    #7

    ReplyDelete
  22. The fur traders came to WA because, they had sea otter furs here, The pioneers came because, their was better and bigger land. Lastly the Native American came because, they wanted to trade and to get better land.

    ReplyDelete
  23. people are still settling in Washington today because the weather is nice in the summer and winter. Also there are lots of jobs and recreation. Like rock climbing for recreation and fishing for jobs. Also if you want to farm there is great farmland. Also some people come here in hopes for a new life. #2

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think that lots of people still settal in seattle because washington dosent have too much water and dosent have to less amounts of water

    ReplyDelete
  25. People still come to WA because it is still a good place to live because it has alot of trees and is next to the ocean.


    #9

    ReplyDelete
  26. People continue to settle in WA because, first, it has good land. Second, it is a great family place. Third, it has great jobs.
    #3

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think the pioneers,Nativ Americans and missionaries came to settal in Seattle because there are many resources. Also they came to claim good land,get jobs, get money, to teach other people about their beliveth. I think people still come to settle in Seattle because they like the weather,the jobs, and to get money.

    #5

    ReplyDelete
  28. Missionaries, Pioneers, and Fur traders are a few groups who came and settled in WA. The Missionaries came to teach religion(this group is special because it wasn't driven by money).
    Pioneers came to get better farming land to grow croups(to sell for money).
    Fur traders came to WA to trap animals for their fur(which the would sell or trade for money or other things).

    I think people still settle here because of money! Many major companies are here that are hiring(even in this economy). that is why I "settled" in WA.

    #1

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree with #3 because I also think those are the reasons that the people came Why do you think people still come to Washington?
    #8

    ReplyDelete
  30. #1 pioneers came for land and to escape slavery
    #2 missionaries came to teach ther culture
    #3 immigrants came for freedom and to escape predgidous
    People stil come here to get jobs and to get money. They also come because it is a friendly place. #22

    ReplyDelete
  31. i agre with nomber 18 becos it said the right stof


    #22

    ReplyDelete
  32. People settled here because they wanted gold, land,money,farm land,and other importent things.
    People still come here for jobs and to learn a new language.Also because the people can get money,homes,familys,and other things.
    #20

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree with #1 because thats all the importent things you needed to live a happy life.Also you could sell the fur for money.I also agree with #10.
    #20

    ReplyDelete
  34. I agree wiyh 18# because he/she has a lot of facts that are similar to mine.

    14#

    ReplyDelete
  35. I agree with #14 because all of her answers were correct. Also, she used good word choice.
    #3

    ReplyDelete
  36. I agree with #10 because he listed every reason for each person (pioneers, explorers, and missonaries).
    o
    /|\
    ^
    / \
    #9

    ReplyDelete
  37. I do agree with #10 because he listed missionaries. While I didn't. (Great Job!) #2

    ReplyDelete
  38. I agree with number 3 becuse it was good land.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I agree with #1 because her answer was very clear and she said the same thing as me. #26

    ReplyDelete
  40. I agree with #16 because her response was very much like mine exept for the Kohndikers part.

    #1

    ReplyDelete
  41. I agree with #16 because she had the same details as I did.She had all the facts and people needed.

    #11

    ReplyDelete
  42. I agree with #7, because they did come to start a new life and for land.

    #12

    ReplyDelete
  43. I agree with #1 because she has a clear word choice.

    #25

    ReplyDelete
  44. I agree with #1 because her answer had alot of detail. And was very clear. Said the same thing as me.


    #5

    ReplyDelete
  45. Pioneers came to Washington because they wanted good land. When they came they were satisfied. Also Chinese and Japanese immigrants came for jobs and got them but the Chinese later had to go back to China.

    I think people come here today for $, jobs, great supply of lumber.

    #21

    ReplyDelete